Strategies for Working With
Multicultural Training Groups
To fully appreciate cultural power and differences, trainers must:
- Recognize their own culture’s influence on how they think and act.
- Understand the complexities of cross-cultural interactions and fully appreciate,
value and respect participants’ diversity.
- Be aware of the impact of institutional and societal racism, sexism, ageism and
other such -isms, and acknowledge how these forms of oppression can influence
- Share appropriate personal experiences from your own culture while not
attempting to be an expert on other cultural groups.
- Acknowledge that everyone in the room has something important to share and
that you, as the trainer, hope to learn from the group as well.