There are efforts underway to address
these limitations and to develop a national model
vital statistics system by NCHS, SSA and the National Association
for Public Health
Statistics and Information Systems (NAPHSIS).
- Create, maintain and improve surveillance systems of SUID/SIDS
deaths that can be
disseminated to policy makers and advocates.
- Gather data that includes demographic information such
as race, ethnicity and
geographic location which will help identify populations
or locations that need
- Prepare or participate in Statewide or
local needs assessments for SIDS. Publish
and disseminate needs assessments.
- Prepare SIDS data fact sheets.
- Identify hazards, develop or
address appropriate interventions and prepare reports
to inform policy makers.
- Analyze data from FIMRs and CFRs. Report
and provide guidance for system
- Collaborate with vital record agencies to ensure
that relevant data is available,
timely and accurate.
- Evaluate and monitor program outcomes.