Steps to Program Expansion
If program staff are considering expanding their scope of services it may be helpful to
talk to program staff that have expanded their scope of services already, review relevant
resources and think through possible steps involved in an expansion effort.
Step 1: Review your existing core set of services to determine whether you are meeting
basic services to SIDS families.
Step 2: Review possible expansion criteria. Criteria may include:
- Sudden, unexpected infant/child deaths, including those from
accidents, previously undiagnosed illnesses or defects.
- Fetal deaths, or those associated with miscarriages and stillbirths,
which may be explained or unexplained.
- Infant/child deaths occurring in hospitals, including those due to
birth defects or illness, which were previously-diagnosed and anticipated.
- Infant or child deaths due to homicide.
Step 3: Review possible expansion criteria and considerations. Considerations may
- Training and education needs of volunteers and staff
- Resource needs for expansion
- Impact on existing bereavement services
- Impact on existing risk reduction services
- Impact on existing referral process
- Financial requirements for expansion