Module 2: Understanding Culture & Nutrition
Module 2 addresses the Healthy People 2020 overarching goal of eliminating disparities in health care and health status among diverse populations, including objectives related to health literacy and access to care.
This module will:
- Outline the role that culture plays in child and adolescent overweight and obesity and related issues.
- Review factors that can lead to overweight/obesity (e.g., lack of access to fresh foods, view of body image) and how they affect cultural groups.
- Offer information on health conditions that are linked to overweight and obesity.
- Review the consensus recommendations for the prevention and treatment of childhood obesity.
- Outline the challenges faced by families of children and youth with special health care needs (CYSHCN).
« BACK TO MODULE 1